ABOUT WILEY COLLEGE
Wiley College is a four-year, privately-supported, historically black university located on the west side of Marshall, Texas. Wiley College holds distinction as one of the oldest historically black colleges west of the Mississippi River.
The physical plant of Wiley College occupies 70+ acres. Academic and administrative structures, residence halls, and the President’s home comprise the campus’ 17 permanent buildings, all of which have Internet connectivity. The College has done an exceptional job blending the old and new architectural structures to achieve an attractive architectural balance. Careful planning and landscaping design and maintenance combine to make the campus beautiful at every season.
The Thomas Winston Cole, Sr. Library
This building, housing the library and named in honor of the tenth president of the College, was constructed and occupied in 1967. The two-story, air-conditioned building houses a variety of print, non-print and electronic holdings which support the curriculum and meet the needs of users. The Library houses a distinguished African-American Collection as well as other special collections, and maintains open-stack services for more than 75 hours per week. It houses two of the fourteen computer labs on campus.
The Willis J. King Administration Building
This original two-story Carnegie Library structure was remodeled and converted into the main administrative complex. It contains the Offices for the President, the Executive Vice President, the Vice President for Business and Finance, Human Resources and Sponsored Programs. This building is named in honor of a former Bishop of the Central Jurisdiction of the Methodist Episcopal Church who once served as chairman of the Board of Trustees of the College.
The Fred T. Long Student Union Building
This building is named for Coach Fred T. Long, who for many years produced championship football teams at the College. The facility is the center of student activities and the social hub of the campus. Located in this building are the Offices of the Vice President for Student Affairs, Director of Counseling and Career Planning, Health Services, and the Director of Student Activities. Also located in the Student Union Building are the cafeteria, a ballroom, a snack bar, the College post office, a bowling alley, the bookstore, the Wildcat Theatre, and the T. L. Hunter Trustees Dining Room, named for this late former trustee of Wiley College. The KBWC (FM 91.1) Radio Station, owned and operated by the College, is located on the second floor of this building.
The Aaron Baker Science Building
A modern, two-story building was made possible by the gift of Aaron Baker, an alumnus, with additional funding secured from the U.S. Department of Education and the Board of Education of the Methodist Episcopal Church. It contains classrooms, science and computer laboratories, a greenhouse, a designated smart classroom, a mathematics tutorial laboratory, and a lecture auditorium.
This residence hall for women, reconstructed in 1991, combines the features of home and school surroundings that contribute to making a comfortable living/learning atmosphere. It was named for the late President Matthew W. Dogan and houses a Parlor Room named in honor of former president, David L. Beckley, the Johnnie H. Coleman television lounge, and several guest rooms
This building, named for President E.C. McLeod, was erected during the summer of 1945. Once a dormitory for women, it is presently used as an administrative annex that houses the Offices of the Vice President for Institutional Advancement, Alumni Relations, Development, Public Relations, Planned Giving and Church Relations, Institutional Research, Information Systems and Technology and a multi-purpose conference room.
The President’s Home
The president’s home was built by students in 1903 and partially renovated in 1999. Some of the College’s special social events are held in the spacious reception rooms of this large frame house of classic design.
This building is a three-story structure situated near the center of the main campus. It was erected in 1918 and named for Bishop Thirkield, a close friend of the College and a former president of Howard University. This building houses instructional classrooms, computer laboratories, faculty offices, offices for the Vice President for Academic Affairs and staff, the Distance Learning Laboratory and the Lilly Teaching Renewal Center.
This building constructed in 1953, houses the Department of Fine Arts. Funds contributed by Mrs. Charles Robinson in memory of her mother and aunt initiated the conception of this well-appointed building. Today the building also houses the Julius S. Scott, Sr. Meditation Room (named for the ninth president of the College), art studios, practice rooms, classrooms and the Lucille Dogan-Teycer music recital room.
The former Dogan Hall Annex, which houses freshman women, was completely renovated after a February 1990 fire. The building was renamed Johnson-Moon in 1991 to honor two long-time trustees, Dr. Joseph T. Johnson of Chicago, Illinois, and Dr. L.A. Moon of Marshall, Texas.
Freeman P. and Carrie E. Hodge Building
The facility, the former refectory, was renovated in 1993 with a gift from Dr. and Mrs. Norman Cottman. The building houses the College’s Hospitality and Tourism Administration program, the Statler Food Production Laboratory, and the Statler Computer Laboratory. Additionally, special College programs are held in the auditorium of this facility.
Ocie and Mary Jackson Hall
This facility, a men’s residence hall, was built in 1972 to house 192 students. The building consists of four wings: two for housing and one that contains offices, laundry facilities, and a guest room. The fourth wing contains three lounges which are utilized for meetings, study laboratory and student relaxation. The wings are arranged around an open courtyard.
The Alumni Gymnasium
The gymnasium is a completely air-conditioned building around a basketball arena with seating capacity for approximately 1500. Included are locker rooms, classrooms, wellness center, a dead-weight room, a physical therapy room and administrative offices.
The Wiley College Apartment Complex
This 12-unit apartment complex is located on University Avenue across from the Aaron Baker Science Building. The air-conditioned apartments which add up to 8,400 square feet were renovated in 1989.
The Wiley-Pemberton Complex
Wiley College acquired the H. B. Pemberton Complex, formerly a high school, from the Marshall Independent School District in a property exchange in 1987. It was named for Mr. Pemberton, the recipient of the first bachelor’s degree awarded by Wiley in 1888. This large complex houses a number of College organizations including: (a) the Center for the Performing Arts, the Robert E. Hayes Auditorium and Theater Hall which together with ancillary classrooms, wardrobe rooms, offices, choir and band practice rooms provide excellent facilities for learning and performing the expressive arts; (b) the Lee P. Brown Criminal Justice Institute which houses the offices and classrooms of the Department of Criminal Justice; (c) the NASA Aerospace Learning Laboratory and associated facilities dedicated primarily to serving the minority elementary school children with supplemental tutoring and strong orientation towards the sciences and engineering; (d) the Student Support Services Unit with its dedicated classrooms, offices and a state-of-the-art computerized laboratory (ETS certified testing center) dedicated to the promotion of students selected for developmental college preparatory courses; (e) the Department of Sociology with its classrooms, faculty offices, conference and library facilities (shared with the Criminal Justice Department); (f) the Board of Trustees Conference Room, (g) administrative offices for the Director for Administrative Services and the Purchasing and Inventory Control Manager; (h) the Pemberton Gymnasium and ancillary facilities.
The Wiley College Enrollment Management Center
This building, the former Atlanta Life Insurance Building, houses the offices of the Registrar, Student Financial Aid, and Admissions and Recruitment.
The Julius S. Scott, Sr. Chapel
Named in honor of the ninth president of the College, the Chapel is the newest structure on campus. Located in the center of the campus, this magnificent facility features a beautiful 15,000 square foot sanctuary with a seating capacity of over 600, a prayer and parlor room, a chaplain’s suite, a narthex, and gathering areas. The facility is also home to the Wiley College Oxford Club and houses the cultural and religious activities of the College.